Coming Soon …
Alan Zishun Chen
|1st Place||ANDREW ZOU|
|2nd Place||MATTHEW ANTHONY DEFAMIO|
|3rd Place||ALAN ZISHUN CHEN|
|#6||ETHAN Y LI|
|#7||AADITYA JO RAJESH|
|#13||AMES HILL WU|
|#18||ERIC HILL WU|
|#21||AKSHOBH ANIRUDH KARTHIK|
for the love of Chess
for the love of Kids
for the love of Life
ICEA Kids Chess Club is an incubator for kids who love and have passions for chess, to help kids achieve their flaring “chess king” dream. In joining the Club, your kids will grow,
- by learning chess knowledge, enhancing chess strategies and tactics from beginner to advanced;
- by playing chess, improving their concentration, memory skill and academic performance;
- by excising intellectual gymnastics, improving their thinking, analytical power and decision making ability;
- by organizing and teaching chess class, improving their speaking and communication skill, self-confidence and leadership;
- last but not the least, by having fun in chess paradise, harvesting friendship, success and happiness.
How can the Club achieve the goals?
The Club provides two different kinds of chess classes and different chess activities and tournaments. Now the club hosts a weekly online chess tournament among the club members and host a monthly USCF rated chess tournament for all the chess players on lichess.org. (+scholarship)
As an incubator, the club provides opportunities for club members to become a chess teacher. The club runs a class only by kids themselves, kids teach kids, kids learn from kids. For those who are chess beginners, you are welcome to join this class. When your kids grow up to a little chess experts, they may apply for a club chess coach, and the club will provide free hands-on-hands training for those who want to become a chess coach. And all the kid coaches will get paid in terms of their knowledge and contribution. By doing this, all the kids will grow in different aspects.
For those kids who are already good at chess and dream to become a chess grandmaster, they are welcome to join our WGM chess class, which provides kids more advanced chess strategies and tactics. But, you are not only a chess student in our Club, you can be a chess coach as well if you like and the Club will provide you free hands-on-hands training to become a chess coach!
Join ICEA Kids Chess Club! For the love of chess; for the love of kids, for the love of life !
Join us! You will grow to be yourself!
作为一个致力于为孩子提供成长机会的孵化器，俱乐部最大的特色是为俱乐部会员提供成为国际象棋小老师和小教练的机会。 成为俱乐部会员，您的孩子将有可能在俱乐部平台下开设自己的国际象棋课程，通过孩子教授孩子，孩子向孩子学习，真正创造孩子们之间互动和不断成长的机会。 对于那些是国际象棋初学者的孩子，我们欢迎您参加此课程。当您的孩子通过学习并逐渐成为一名国际象棋小专家时，他们就有机会申请俱乐部国际象棋课的小老师和小教练，而俱乐部将为想要成为国际象棋课小老师和小教练的孩子们免费提供手把手的培训，直到成长为一名合格的儿童国际象棋课小老师。并且所有的小老师和小教练都将因为教授国际象棋知识而获得相应报酬。 我们相信，在ICEA儿童囯际象棋俱乐部中，所有的孩子都将在不同的方面得到成长，从而成就更好的自己。
President: Felix, 4th grader
Felix is a 4th grader at Broadway Elementary School in Los Angeles. He was recommended to learn Chess by his piano teacher in order to keep him being focused when he was 8 years old. He has been training with Coach Atousa (WGM) for over 2 years. He started to play USCF rated tournament online since pandemic in 2020. Felix increased his USCF rating to 1300+ by the end of 2020. He has gotten 1st in the USCF rated tournament. He is good at rapid/blitz, he has gotten 2nd place in a 1300 people open tournament, and he is the admin of a club with over 120+ members (ICEA Kid’s Chess Club on Chess.com). He has a passion for teaching chess to other kids to share his learning experience. Besides teaching chess, he also teaches math and contributes his time to other ICEA programs (Check Here for more details). He is the co-founder of Global AirLearning program to train other kids to share happiness and friendship as well as to share their knowledges in a new format.
Vice President: Alan, 2nd grader
Alan is 8 years old, a 2nd grader at Durham Academy in Durham, NC. He is passionate and obsessed with chess beyond liking. His dream is to become a chess grandmaster even though he didn’t have any achievements in chess yet. Alan has been learning chess for over one year. He met Felix by joining Felix’s chess class. It is chess which ignites their friendship. Two chess-lovers decided to run this club together in order to serve more chess kids, playing and learning chess with more kids and growing together with each other. You can meet Alan on chesskid.com, chess.com, lichess.org and more. Alan likes reading, drawing, playing piano, swimming and running. His “famous” word is that chess helps his math, reading, piano and everything in him.
Coach & Tournament Director: Farirai Gumbe (FA, NI)
- Mr. Fari is a Certified FIDE Arbiter and National Instructor. He attained both titles in 2014 and participated in a 3 day Online refresher course in 2020 lead by US Chess team captains IM Donaldson and GM Melikset.
- He has 10 years coaching experience as National Youth coach for Zimbabwe from 2009- 2015.
- As a player, he has played chess in 4 different countries, participated in the World OPEN July 2019 in Philadelphia.
- His students have attained chess titles in International Youth Championships and at the World Chess Olympiad in the Women’s category.
- He has a passion for teaching chess and developing young players, I hope to share the knowledge and skills I have gained over the years.
Coach: Raghav Srivathsav V
- Raghav has been playing chess since the age of 9.
- He has stood on top in many tournaments in India and other countries.
- He has dedicated himself to professional chess for more than 10 years.
- He created a Guinness World Record in backwards spelling at the age of six, and 5 Limca World Records in Blindfolded Chess at the age of twelve.
- He has been guiding many players for the past few years and has experience in teaching kids from the age of 5. His aim is to make the player enhance their level of play and also play comfortably.
Coach: Jonathan Chen (FM)
Jonathan Chen, a 8th grader at Chaparral Middle School, is two times US National Grade Champion, FIDE (International Chess Federation) Master and US National Master. He loves music and history and likes to share his Chess knowledges with other kids.
Coach: Atousa Pourkashiyan (WGM)
Atousa, a Women Grand Master and a world champion, has been teaching Chess for ICEA Chess Club for more than 2 years, and more than 60 students in ICEA Chess Club has learnt Chess from Atousa.
- She began playing chess at the age of 8.
- In 1999, she won the Asian youth championship in India.
- In 2000, she got gold medal in world youth championship in Spain.
- She became a woman international master (Slovenia-2000) at the age of 14.
- She won a bronze medal in Asian Games (Qatar 2006) at the age of 18,.
- She became a Woman Grand Master in chess Olympiad (Germany-2008).
- In 2010, she won Asian Championship in Philippines and qualified for world cup in Russia.
- In 2014, she became the second in Asian Championship in Emirates.
- In 2016, she got a bronze medal in Asian Championship (Blitz).
How to join us
- Fill this form.
- Join our team on Lichess.org.
- Join our Kids Chess Club on chess.com and play puzzles that we posted.
- Register any of our classes and participant our weekly tournament and monthly USCF rated tournament.
Our USCF-rated Tournaments
USCF-rated Tournament Result and Ranking
|Date/Time||Tournament||Section||First Place||Second Place||Third Place|
|2021-3-27||2021 Spring Break||OPEN||Andrew Zou||Matthew A. Defamio||Alan Chen|
|2021-5-1||May USCF-rated Tournament||OPEN||Andrew Zou||Punyavra Upadhyay||Felix Guo|
|2021-6-5||June USCF-rated Tournament||OPEN||FELIX GUO||PHUC HOANG||ETHAN WANG|
|2021-7-11||Summer Championship Tournament||K-3||ALAN CHEN||ERIC LIU||ETHAN WANG|
|OPEN||THOMAS GUO||RUSHEEL MISHRA||SHANKARA MOHAN|
|2021-8-15||August Championship Tournament||K-3||Alan Chen||Aaron Ren||Austin Huang|
|OPEN||Pete Mogilevski||Felix Guo||Pratik Gudala|
|2021-9-12||September Championship Tournament||K-3||Timothy Liu||Aaron Ren||Raymond Ouyang|
|OPEN||Darsh Shetty||Nguyen Doan Giang||Thomas Guo|
|2021-10-17||October Championship Tournament||K-3||Rakesh Ganta||Anish Basetty||Harikrishnan Pradeep|
|OPEN||Nguyen Doan Giang||Aaron Ren||Punyavrat Upadhyay|
Hao Lin is a 6th grader at Manhattan Beach Middle School, he is passionate about math. Hao has participated in multiple contests. He won the first place in Manhattan beach whole district elementary Math Olympiad individual competition. In addition, he is the only one who finished 30 minutes test in 13 minutes and got full Score. Hao loves math and loves to share with his friends, he is willing to help more kids to love math.
Alicia is a current fifth-grader at Robinson Elementary School and was elected as President of the Student Council of the school. She has a wide range of hobbies and interests in reading, writing, music and sports. She loves to play piano and do challenging math problems in her free time. She has achieved a perfect score in the math kangaroo contest this year. Additionally, she is a professional ice skater, as well as a proud midfield soccer player at the Sand and Surf Soccer Club. She is also interested in computer coding and science. She has been actively participating in the ICEA Global Air Learning program and is eager to volunteer to make her contribution.
I.C.E.A. Volunteer Experience:
- Global Air Learning host
- Global Air Learning admin
- Global Air Learning presenter
- Global Air Learning coordinator
- Math kangaroo 1-2 grade preparation class teacher
- I.C.E.A Math Club member and secretary
William is an 8th grader at Manhattan Beach Middle School. He likes reading and doing competition math in his spare time. He is ranked 7th in California state-wise in the Mathcounts competition this year, and has led the Manhattan Beach Middle School MathCounts Team to the state competition twice. He has achieved Honor Roll of Distinction (top 1% nationwide) on the AMC10 contest and made into AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Examination) twice. He has also achieved perfect score on the AMC8 contest and the Math Kangaroo contest.
He masters multiple computer programming languages. He is also a green belt taekwondo student and is proficient at playing tennis. He has been presenting and acting as an admin in the ICEA Global Air Learning program. He looks forward to sharing his knowledge and dedication with the ICEA community.
I.C.E.A. Volunteer Experience:
Yiling Luo, graduated from Beijing Film Academy, currently a graduated student at the University of Melbourne in Australia, joined ICEA as a volunteer in 2018 and has served ICEA for over 200 hours. During her service, she organized two West Los Angeles Chinese Spring Festival Gala together with ICEA team to contribute to the development of the Chinese community in Los Angeles.
I.C.E.A. Volunteer Experience:
Hello, my name is Jacob. Music has always been a big part of my life. Going through elementary, middle school, and high school having professional instruction on instruments such as clarinet, trumpet, and various percussion instruments, through the band program. I have also been playing the piano since the 2nd grade. Originally I was “self taught” but after taking many years of lessons, I believe the most important part of learning an instrument is having a good quality teacher.
In teaching my students the piano I make sure they will have a well rounded music education. Beginning with the basics of piano technique; structure of the hand, good posture, a proper touch, and how to manipulate the piano to do what we want, using the natural movements of our body.
A strong piano technique is the foundation of piano playing. Once a proper technique is acquired, the student will then begin exploring music theory. Going over melody, harmony, phrasing, expression, and most importantly following the true intentions of the composer.
In taking all of these aspects and putting them into a proper learning curriculum, I believe you will be pleased to see your child progressing through their piano studies, bringing them joy that will ultimately last a lifetime.
As the great Rachmaninoff said himself,
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.”